Of course not. You want crazy picks that may not come true, but you can talk yourself into happening.
Some of these will come from my 30 NHL previews, but mostly they’re new ones.
So here are my top 25 fearless predictions.
1. The Calgary Flames will finish last in the West.
2. The New York Islanders will make the playoffs.
3. Only one Canadian team will make the playoffs.
4. Alexander Semin will be traded.
5. Daniel Alfredsson will be traded.
6. Chicago finally manages to trade Brian Campbell.
7. Tomas Kaberle will not be traded.
8. Carey Price will finish the season with better stats than Jaroslav Halak.
9. Zach Parise will score at least 55 goals to lead the league.
10. Eric Staal will score 50 goals.
11. Alexander Ovechkin misses half the season due to injury.
12. Jonathan Toews does reach 70 points.
13. Neither does Rick Nash.
14. Johan Franzen leads the Red Wings in points.
15. Daniel Sedin gets more points than his brother, Henrik.
16. Despite all their rookies, no one on the Oilers will be nominated for the Calder trophy.
17. Alexander Semin wins the all-star MVP.
18. Brent Sutter will be the first head coach fired.
19. Glen Sather will either be fired or resign from being the Rangers general manager this season.
20. Mike Comrie won’t play with Sidney Crosby, won’t get 45 points, but will get to see a picture of his wife, Hillary Duff, every time he is written about on the Internet.
21. No one on Nashville will get reach 50 points.
22. Teemu Selanne will retire, despite having a 40-goal, 80-point season.
23. Matt Carkner will have only one fight against Colton Orr this season, after fighting four times last year (and losing three).
24. Kris Versteeg will finish with 80 points.
25. Shea Weber signs a 10-year extension with the Predators.
1. Washington Capitals
2. Boston Bruins
3. Pittsburgh Penguins
4. Buffalo Sabres
5. New Jersey Devils
6. Philadelphia Flyers
7. Tampa Bay Lightning
8. New York Islanders
9. Ottawa Senators
10. Montreal Canadiens
11. Carolina Hurricanes
12. New York Rangers
13. Atlanta Thrashers
14. Toronto Maple Leafs
15. Florida Panthers
1. San Jose Sharks
2. Vancouver Canucks
3. Detroit Red Wings
4. Chicago Blackhawks
5. Anaheim Ducks
6. Los Angeles Kings
7. Dallas Stars
8. Minnesota Wild
9. Columbus Blue Jackets
10. Colorado Avalanche
11. St. Louis Blues
12. Phoenix Coyotes
13. Edmonton Oilers
14. Nashville Predators
15. Calgary Flames
These are my dark horse picks, so there won’t be the usual names:
Hart: Steven Stamkos
Art Ross: Brad Richards
Vezina: Tuukka Rask
Norris: Mattias Ohlund
Lady Byng: Marian Gaborik
Calder: Michael Grabner
Jack Adams: Scott Gordon (Islanders coach)
Selke: Jonathan Toews
Masterton: Rick DiPietro
Norris: Dan Boyle
Rocket Richard: Zach Parise