Kidney stones

I’m not too sure how many of you noticed, but since about a month ago, I’m two millimetres lighter.

Normally, that doesn’t sound proper, but I’ve been a free man since that day. That’s the day I finally passed my kidney stone.

But it came at the end of a long couple of days.

It all started on Tuesday night, July 15. I was having trouble urinating. It felt like I had to go every five minutes, but only a small bit was coming out.

This continued throughout Wednesday. I went to work anyways (silly me). I’m not too sure what my co-workers thought, with me having to get up and leave the room every five minutes. It was very frustrating to have a feeling of urgency to pee, but not able to do anything. I was also in pain everytime a little dribble came out, so that wasn’t a good thing.

So my wife finally convinced me to go to the walk-in clinic. We show up at 5:30 p.m., but couldn’t be seen until 7 p.m. When I finally saw a doctor, he tells me I have a full bladder (which I figured, since I couldn’t urinate) and that I have blood in my urine. He told me that I need to go to the hospital, and writes a note that he said should get me through the waiting process there a lot quicker.

We arrive at the hospital after two pitstops to try to urinate- I’m very frustrated at this point, by the way. After a quick test, the nurse tells me I have blood in my urine, which is just repeating what the clinic doctor told me. They take a blood test, and tell me they’ll have the results in a hour. The average wait time in the emergency room is four hours, I am told, so I shouldn’t expect to see a doctor until close to midnight (so much for the note from the walk-in clinic doctor).

So I continue to go to the bathroom every five minutes. But when I was in the waiting, the hospital staff had CTV Newsnet on. Now don’t get me wrong, I think the channel is fine. But it repeats the news every 15 minutes. In four hours, I saw the same stories about eight times (don’t forget, I was spending a lot of time in the bathroom). It was very frustrating to watch. But now, I am an expert in knowing the Feist will be appearing on Sesame Street (as she continously sang, 1, 2, 3, 4, I love to count to 4).

As I was nearing the fourth hour, the waiting time at the hospital changed. It’s now six to eight hours to see a doctor.

About 15 minutes later, my stomach started to hurt. Not a good sign. This happened to me about a month previous. My wife told the doctor, and it actually got me in quicker, but this was not a good sign.

I ended up having to get morphine given to me. I don’t even take baby aspirin, so this was a new thing for me. It was a weird sensation. My stomach just stopped hurting. I asked the nurse if I could take some home with me. She said no.

They haven’t checked the blood from my blood test four hours earlier yet. They begin to do that now that I’m actually in an emergency room bed.

I’m told I’ll have to get an X-ray to check if I actually have kidney stones. So we’re waiting, and waiting and waiting. At at about 4 a.m., my wife decided to see how long it was going to be before I got my X-ray, because she wanted to grab a coffee and didn’t want to not be there when I got in. We were told the X-ray place is only open from 8 a.m. to noon. No one told us this, so we decided to grab a couple of hours of sleep.

So I can’t pee, and the guy in the bed next to me can’t poo. His bowel got twisted or something. It’s an interesting combination between the two of us.

The next morning, I wake up, and I really need to pee. I’m told they need a full bladder for the X-ray, so I have to wait. I also need to eat, because I hadn’t eaten in about 36 hours. I was told I couldn’t do that either, as the food may interfere with the X-rays. So we continue to wait.

We finally get in to get the X-ray. Very quick to do. A lot quicker than when I had my collarbone broken and I needed X-rays for that.

Back to the room to wait for the results. I’m told I can finally pee, but not eat yet.

At about noon, a doctor comes to tell us the results: I have a kidney stone. I’m not surprised by that, because that was pretty much figured out, just not official. I’m more surprised that I have been in the hospital at this point for 16 hours, and this was the first doctor I saw. The rest were all nurses (who were great by the way, especially after seeing what some of them have to deal with from some patients).

I’m with the doctor for about two minutes, as she seemed in a rush to get to other patients. The kidney stone is about two millimetres. It’s crazy that something so small could cause so much pain. My dad had a kidney stone that was eight millimetres. Yikes.

She gives me a prescription for something that is supposed to relax the urinary muscles and make it easier for the kidney stone to exit the body.

I also have to pee through a strainer and make an appointment with a urologist. This is because once I pass the kidney stone, the doctors will do a test on it to see what caused it.

It’s about noon. I book the rest of the day off work. Actually, my wife is the one who calls, because I’m still in the bed at the hospital.

I didn’t tell the doctor this, but I hate taking pills. I have a gag reflex when it comes to swallowing them. So the next morning, I chew up my pill before swallowing. Later on, I’m told not to do that with this pill, because it’s designed to break apart in the small intestine. I figure my best way around it is stick the pill inside the hollow part of a piece of licorice, eat a whole strand, and then stick that piece with the pill in my mouth when I’m about to swallow.

I never get a chance to try it, because my kidney stone passed that evening. It didn’t hurt. It just came out. It looks bigger than two millimetres (as you can see from the photo with the ruler).My kidney stone

But since then, I’ve been urinating regularly. After two days of having problems, I’m still so happy when I go to the bathroom and everything happens naturally. It’s a great feeling, and I’ll never take urinating for granted again.



Filed under Misc.

9 responses to “Kidney stones

  1. I feel closer to you, now that I’ve seen something that was in your pee.

  2. Cathy

    so what type of stone was it? calicum oxalate? if so stay off the vitamin C.

  3. newfcollins

    I don’t know yet. I have my doctor’s appointment for that in a few weeks. I’ve saved my kidney stone in the meantime to give to the doctor.

  4. Maybe caribou’s high in calcium?
    Happy urinating,

  5. cmajor7

    I followed an automatic link to your page, after writing about my impending kidney stones (literally, long story). Anyway, it looks like the stones can hit you in different ways. For me, they descend normally into the bladder, then block the ureter, backing the tube up and making me feel like someone’s repeatedly hitting me in the groin with a socket wrench. I think I’d rather have your symptoms.

  6. i just had kidney stone blasted by lithotripsy. passed four little ones – now got one that’s giving me symptoms like you described. ran out of pain meds. just called the doc but got the answering service and they are supposed to call back. oh sweet nelly. here’s to drinking water with lemon juice.

  7. dave

    good stuff mate i feel your pain i have a ten by four millimeter stone it blocked my ureter now its blocking my bladder feels awesome nice story mate

  8. Joe O'Donnell

    I am a veteran kidney stone producer. Over the past two weeks, I have rid my body of 15 stones! Woo hoo! All thanks to apple cider vinegar. If you have calcium oxalate stones and want to avoid a trip to the ER, shoot back 2 ounces of natural apple cider vinegar (I like Bragg’s), followed by 8 ounces of water and a good teeth brushing. The vinegar helps to break up the stone and allow easy passage.

  9. This insight can be extremely helpful for my son thanks.have a GREAT DAY

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s